Friday 22 December 2017

Red and Gold, Long Lasting Makeup Look - In Depth

At the start of December, me and my friends were lucky enough to have grabbed some tickets to Hannah Renee's Christmas Party. If you don't know Hannah, she is an amazing youtuber who mainly focuses on beauty and fashion. A lot of my friends wanted to go to this party when it first got announced and since I have been watching Hannah for so long, and have fallen in love with her personality on camera, I really wanted to meet her.
I really loved the way my makeup turned out on the day so I thought I'd share it with you as it was quite a full coverage, festive makeup look that lasted all day. Since it is nearing to Christmas and New Years also, I thought that this makeup would be perfect for anyone who wanted their makeup to last all day, as I use a few new techniques for my base makeup and I genuinely think that some of these steps really helped that staying power of my makeup.
You have been warned: This make is quite time consuming as I was experimenting this day and I was trying out new things so it did take me up to about 90 minutes which I understand is quite excessive but take this makeup how you please. You also do not need this many products or use this many steps but like I said, I was playing around and I really wanted to experiment with the lasting power of my makeup.

Just to prep my skin quickly, I used a spray primer because I find it is refreshing and will help to kick start the makeup. I use the Primark Primer Water, super cheap but it does the job perfectly and instead of sitting there with water droplets all over my face, I just take a small, fluffy face brush and just blend it in a little just to give an even distribution and to start helping the product sit in.
After that primer had sunk in, I went in with the Urban Decay Self Adjusting Complexion Primer. This primer is a little more silicon based and has a more matte finish and I figured I needed this step because I can get quite oily throughout the day and with pictures being taken, I did not want to look like a greasy mess. I love this primer because it almost feels like an exfoliant with little beads in it but I think those beads are actually skin colour adjusting because it just makes you look airbrush and evens out your skin tone in the most natural and beautiful way.
This is when I start experimenting. The night before I actually watched Holly Boon's most recent makeup tutorial which was coincidentally a long lasting base makeup look and before she applied foundation she actually applied a loose power around her pores and where her foundation tends to crease which was mainly under her eyes. I really wanted to give this a shot so I took my RCMA No Colour Powder and a damp sponge and just picked up a little powder and pressed it into the skin. I focused it around my nose, chin, forehead and a little under my eyes. I have never done this before but I found that my makeup went on so much smoother and my under eyes did not crease, so I might use this trick some more and play around with it a little. I will also link Holly's video at the end of this post so you can see her tips and her application techniques because I thought they were super useful.
I left the base just to set a little and went onto the brows because I knew my eyes and brows would need cleaning up so there was no point in me doing my foundation. To fill in my brows, I used my favourite, the Anastasia Beverly Hills Dip Brow in Taupe. You know I love this and I am not going to go into too much depth about it but I did quite a bold and sharp brows but still softening it out at the front.
To clean up all of that mess I create after filling in my brows, I use the Rimmel Lasting Finish Concealer just on a flat shade brush. I focused most of the product on the tail of the brow as that is where I like it to be super sharp and then also dragged it underneath the brow, nearer to the front just to help blend it together and give it a sharp bottom edge.
I then primed my eyes with Mac Painterly Paint Pot and just put that all over the lid and blending both the paint pot and the concealer together so that there was no harsh lines. To fully blend all of the concealer and eye primer, I used a mini damp sponge and just blended away.
I always have to set down my eye primer otherwise everything on top does not blend properly and it all slides off anyway so I just use the RCMA Powder once again and just applied plenty of that in pressing motions all over my lid to ensure no creasing and to help my eye shadows blend properly on top.
Now I thought was a good time to set my brows as I do my eye shadow so I am just using the Collection Clear Brow Gel to do so. I love this brow gel, it's super basic but to tame the brows it is a must.
Back onto to eyes, as I didn't really know what I was doing, I wanted a white canvas to help enhance any colour I put over and the palette I was using did not include a matte white so I just used NYX Whipped Cream Single Eye Shadow
For the actual eye shadow, I am not going to go too in depth as the picture above sort of shows the sorts of colours I was using but all of these shades were from the Morphe X Jaclyn Hill Palette. I did start with the crease and built op gradually and as I got darker I got further and further down in my crease and started to focus the really dark colours just on my outer corner. I used a mix of warm oranges, reds and browns but the key with this is just to take your time on blending and building up the colour and pigment gradually. When it came to the lid, though, I just went all out and did a gold soft cut crease, I did dampen my flat shader brush before going into the eye shadow and applying it because I wanted it to be super metallic but also really sharp and I find I get more precision when my brush is a little wet. Just to bring the eye shadow together I just blended the crease colours and lid colours very softly but still keeping the sort of cut crease look. I also highlighted my inner corner and brow bone with this palette by mixing the two lightest shades together.
I really wanted to add more darkness to the eye look so I use the Seventen Kohl Liner in Black in my upper lash line and in the outer part of my waterline.
To finish off the eyes, I just applied a few layers of the Collection Volumax Waterproof Mascara and I find that this really holds a curl but it is also super dark and volumizing which I thought really matched the look.
Back onto the face, I used the LA Girl Pro Coverage Foundation in Fair but since that was going to be way too dark for me, I mixed in a little of the white shade of this foundation too, to help create my perfect shade. I applied this onto the skin with a brush but I blended it in with a sponge, which just helps makes it looks more like skin, I find. I did also spend a long time doing this too as you want your foundation to look very seamless and flawless, but I also wanted to make sure that the product was properly pressed into the skin.
Under the eyes and to highlight, I used the Urban Decay Naked Skin Concealer mixed with the LA Girl Pro Concealer as this gave me the best colour and I just blended that out with a sponge too. I made sure that there was no hard line between foundation and concealer as I just wanted it to look a little more natural but I still wanted a bit of a highlighter to help brighten my eyes. 
I then, pretty much, instantly set down that concealer with the RCMA No Colour Powder and really pressed it into the skin. I did not let the powder sit on top and bake, I just took a small amount and pressed it into the concealer to set it but also not cause a super white under eye.
I did fancy a little bit of cream contour so I used the LA Girl Pro Conceal in Toast and took just a little bit of that because it is really pigmented and blended is under my cheekbones, temples and a bit on my jaw.
To help set that contour and just warm up the face a little, I used the Mac Mineralize Skin Finish in Medium Dark just on a big fluffy brush and I started to bronze with it. I usually love a super strong warm bronzer, but this is a little more subtle which I quite like. Since it is actually a face powder too, it also has quite a nice sheen to it which looks amazing in photos.
I further deepened the bronzer and contoured a little using the Benefit Hoola Bronzer as I wanted just a little bit more definition.
A classic step I must include for any look is my Kiko Provocative Pink Blush. Just on an angled small face brush, it just pulls together a look for me.
To highlight, I wanted something bold but also something that just made your skin look wet and for that look I used the Ofra X NikkieTutorials Highlighter in Everglow mixed with the Kiko Wet and Dry Eye Shadow in 208. This is my current favourite highlighter combo, it is just so intense but so beautiful and amazing. I brushed this combo just across my cheekbones, cupid's bow and the tip of my nose.
After this, I then went back to the eyes and just dragged a few of those crease colours under the eyes and applied some lower lash mascara as that just ties it all together for me.
Finally for the lips I lined them with Mac Oh Honey! Pro Longwear Lip Pencil as it is just super versatile shade that applies really nicely.
For all over the lips, I kept it matte as I was wearing my hair down and I changed the lip colour a few times but in the end, I went with the Colourpop Ultra Satin Lip in Likely. This lip was just super warm and beautiful which I thought really tied in well with the eye shadow. It was also super comfortable because it was not fully matte.

That's it!
I know it was a lot but I hope you found a few tips or maybe some products that you might want to try out in the future or you might even be inspired by the final outcome but I just hope you enjoyed this post, I know it was a little long, but it feels good to be back writing about how I apply my makeup. Do let me know if there are any other looks that you want me to create and whether you like this super in depth chatty style of post.

This is also the last post you are going to read of mine until after Christmas, so Merry Christmas!

Grace xx

Holly Boon's Long Lasting Makeup Tutorial - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDDtoHep55Q

2 comments:

  1. it’s great for you to be back blogging, this post was incredible! merry christmas grace xxx

    itsmeexx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete