Sunday 10 December 2017

The Book or the Film? - Wonder film review

I think it was the end of last year when I finished Wonder written by the incredible Raquel J. Palacio and at the time, I had no idea that it was going to be turned into a film. Only a couple of weeks back did I realise that Wonder the film was going to be out in cinemas and so my mum and I went to watch it.
After reading the book and hearing that it was going to become a film, I was a little cautious. I think we all get a bit like that when a great book you have read is being turned into a film, as we don't want it to ruin the characters we make up in our heads or whether they miss out key details, change plots, play with speech and text, there is just a lot that could go wrong. 
I did see the trailer and cast before watching the film which did put my crazy fears of this book being ruined aside because Julia Roberts was playing the mum of Auggie, as well as a few other well known actors/actresses. Julia Roberts for me is a well loved actress, I think she is so incredible and I could have totally imagined her playing the role of the mum in this book. As for the trailer, I immediately loved how accurate the kept it to the film with some of the key quotes and descriptions kept in mind, I was expecting great things.
As for the film, there is a lot I want to say about it but in few words quickly, I loved it. If you have came to read this post to hear what the film is about then this is probably not the best place, I would recommend watching the trailer to get an idea for the film. Quickly though the book is about a boy called Auggie who was born with facial deformity and he is starting public school for the first time. Obviously, the book is about a lot more than that but that is the baseline. 
I thought the way Auggie looked was actually very close to what I had imagined while reading the book. Having a character with a facial deformity must have been quite challenging to get right for the film because it needs to look realistic but it needs to still look like a deformity and I think that they did the job very well. 
As for the rest of the characters, I thought that each of them, for the most part, really suited their roles. Obviously, not all of them are going to be how you imagined them but after watching the film, each cast member really did match their characters.
The scenes and the way the film moved, I think, couldn't have been any closer to the book if they had tried and I loved that they did that. The book was so well written and each thing that happened in the book was so relevant that I am glad they kept it all in. 
As for the film as a whole, there are so many amazing concepts and ideas that were handled. From grieve to bullying to family difficulties to friendships, I really think that this film captures it all. I also think that it really highlights the toll bullying can take on such a vulnerable person. This film really did show the frustration and resilience these character had to go through, it shows people learning who is good for them and who is a bad influence. As cheesy as it is, this book really proves that being different and unique is something that shouldn't be hidden, it should be embraced and I think that was the best thing I took out of that film.
You have been warned, this film is incredibly emotional. I tend to be quite a emotionless person when it comes to films and books and maybe just life in general. Whilst reading the book I didn't cry but seeing it on a screen, seeing the characters react in a way I had imagined just really pulled the heartstrings. Julia Roberts for me was incredible at showing the bond between a mother and child, her emotional scenes had me in pieces. In general though, I think all of the actors/actresses really had a connection to their role and it really showed because each of them really captured the emotion for me. 
Even though I have just made this film sound heartbreaking, there are some really good pieces of humor in it, especially between some of the friendships in this film. With it being based around young children, they come out with some really funny lines. Generally speaking this is a film that will make you cry one minute but laugh the next. 
I feel like I have just babbled on so I think I am going to end it there but if you haven't already been able to tell. I absolutely loved this film and I would recommend it to anyone. I think why I loved it so much was because of how realistic it was and I also put that down to being why I was so emotional to. A lot of the family scenes in this, I could really relate to and with this film also being based around bullying, it does highlight the impact of it and also, just how cruel it can be especially of kids that age. Do let me know if you have seen this film and if not do you want to?
Grace xx

6 comments:

  1. Wonder has been my favourite book for a few years now so it’s so lovely to see someone else who loves it too! I’m yet to see this film so this was great to read and also a reminder for me to bring tissues when I go. I always end up crying at movies! I’ll also make sure to let you know my thoughts once I’ve seen it,
    Zara xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do, Wonder is such a beautiful book and I think that the film was so well done!xx

      Delete
  2. I've never head of the book... Not sure how that's possible but the movie looks really great. I want to read the book then watch the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely suggest doing that because it brings it to life in the best way!xx

      Delete
  3. I was really sceptical about the movie- I wasn't going to bother seeing it because I love the book so much but then me and my friends missed the film we were actually going to see so we saw this. I found the movie so emotional, I cried in the book but the movie actually broke me? I think because I knew what was coming (like with Jack Will and Daisy) plus the fact I'm a cry baby in general but ah god the film made me cry but I did love the casting and think it was done so well!
    constantlylibby.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you agree with me and yes I cried like mad too, no shame there, it was so beautiful!xx

      Delete