Monday 4 February 2019

MINI BOOK HAUL

Okay, so I know I said that I was going to stop buying books after I did that massive MusicMagpie order (haul linked here) but apparently, I cannot control myself and so I have another book haul today, except there are only four books so I guess you could debate that this is progress. Once again, I didn't need any of these books but they were super affordable from the Works so I just bought them. I feel like eventually, I would like to do a post all about the best places to get really good affordable books but right now, I am just testing out some places but maybe you will be seeing that in the future, who knows?
The first book I bought was The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris (£6). I have heard so many amazing things about this book ever since it was released and so I have been really desperate to give it a read for myself. I am definitely not usually a hardback person but because this one was so affordable, I thought that I would give it a go. This book is based on a true story which I think what makes it such an important and impactful read. It is basically set in WW2, in Auschwitz and the main character Jewish but he is the tattooist that has to permanently mark the rest of the prisoners in this concentration camps. I am definitely very excited to get to this book because I think that it is going to be a very powerful story. WW2 is definitely a time in history that I know a fair bit about but I think stories like this are something history lessons will never cover or to the extent that I think this book will. You will definitely be getting a review about this book once I get round to it as I think that I am going to give it a very high rating, or at least, I am hoping I will.

The next book is going to seem a little random and not very 'me' but in case you didn't know, I do history alevel and one of the sections I have to study is Tsarist and Communist Russia. History is definitely the subject that I find myself putting a lot of extra work into and I am trying to stay on top of extra reading as much as possible just so that I can have a greater variety of knowledge. Therefore, when I saw this book for such an affordable price, I thought that it was worth picking up, so it is The Last of the Tsars by Robert Service (£2). This book, as the title says, focuses on Tsar Nicholas II as he was in fact, the last Tsar of Russia before the Russian revolutions. I think, in the near future, this book is going to be really useful to me and because it is my own copy, I now have the opportunity to read through it, annotate and highlight it so that I can come back to it, in time for my proper exams. It is definitely not what I would typically pick up but I think because it was so affordable, I couldn't really say no.
I couldn't believe it when I saw this book for £1 because I have heard a few things about it and it has been on my wishlist for a while, so I just had to pick it up while I could for such an affordable price. It is Damage by Eve Ainsworth (£1) which I also think is going to be a really powerful story. From what I know about this book, it discusses very dark topics like depression and self-harm so just a warning to anyone who might find those topics triggering, you might not want to read this book. I am very curious about this book because I would like to see what the presentation of mental health is like. Considering that I have been through very similar circumstances than what this book describes, I am definitely cautious going into this also, just in case I find it overly triggering, but I do want to give it a go. I think I would be very lucky if I could find a book that puts into words what I think and feel sometimes so I am really hoping that this book might do that for me. I plan on reading this book really soon just because I really want to see what it's like so I am sure you will be seeing a post on it in the next few weeks.
As for the final book, I mainly bought it because of how beautiful the cover was but I am also trying to widen my reading this year and so I saw no harm in buying another classic to add to my very small collection. I have heard a lot about Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (£3) as I think that a lot of people start out with this book when diving into the classics genre so I thought that I would do the same. I also know that there is a film based on this book so I am also very intrigued to see what that adaptation is like, but obviously, I am going to read the book first. I mainly just love how gorgeous this edition is. It is a little smaller than your average book but I just think that the colours and everything, make it so beautiful. There are also some other Jane Austen books in this same edition form and so I think that if I enjoy this book, I might collect the rest all in these really cute editions. 

Please let me know what you think of any of these books if you have read them, or heard about them!
Grace xx

2 comments:

  1. Great post - I am always looking for book recommendations, and the tattooist book sounds like something totally up my alley... I will definitely be adding it to my "to-read" list! Thanks for sharing!
    -Jenna ♥
    Stay in touch? The Chic Cupcake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do let me know what you think if you get round to reading it!xx

      Delete