Friday 12 August 2016

How I Deep Clean My Makeup Brushes

Hi everyone,
For today's post I wanted to share with you my current favorite way to deep clean my makeup brushes and some tips when cleaning them. When I first started wearing makeup and using makeup brushes, I never use to wash them but now wince learning more about my skin and makeup, I have learnt that washing your makeup brushes on a weekly basis is crucial. To me, you don't need expensive products to help clean your makeup brushes, in fact I only use two products and they are both about £1 each. That is £2 to help clean your makeup brushes and both products will last for half a year. Let's begin!

The first product I use to clean my brushes are Johnson's Baby Shampoo, you can pick this up from anywhere for a very small price. The good thing about baby shampoo is that it is not full of lots of chemicals and it is not going to clog up your brushes. It also helps kill bacteria which is what you want when cleaning your brushes because having bacteria on your brushes when you use them on your face is only going to cause you to break out.
The other product I use is a facial cleansing pad, I got mine from Primark for about £1 but you can get them from other places. This is silicon which is ideal for brushes because silicon does not hold bacteria which means that your brushes are fully clean to use on your face. Before using this, I used my hands to lather up the shampoo but now I realize that it was making me break out.

I tend to wash my brushes once every two weeks as I find that since I don't wear makeup everyday then my brushes aren't that dirty after one week so I do it every two. It usually takes me no more than 10 minutes to clean all of my brushes. All I really do is fill up my sink with some warm water, dip my brush in the water, squeeze some baby shampoo onto the cleansing pad and swirl the brush in it, then rinse it and I repeat this until it is fully clean. I do this to all of my brushes and then I line them all up on a towel and let them dry. It usually takes them about a day to dry fully and then they are ready to be used again.

Now onto some tips:
- When drying your brushes, dry them slightly facing downwards. To help your brushes last a lifetime make sure you dry your brushes on a slant. If you just put them straight back in their pot then you are allowing water to weaken the glue that keeps the bristles together, this will cause them to malt and last not as long.
- Spot cleaning is also essential. If you are like me and use one brush for lots of different things then you are best spot cleaning in case any extra product is still on the brush. If you want me to do a separate post on spot cleaning then let me know and I will be sure to do that.
- Treat your brushes like they are hair. Every now and again you can condition your brushes with your usual conditioner and just treat it like it's your own hair. Things like heat are also not good for your brushes just like they are not good for your hair.

I hope you enjoyed this post. Let me know what you use to clean your makeup brushes. Have a great day!
Grace xx


4 comments:

  1. I swear by the Johnsons Baby Shampoo to wash my brushes but haven't got a cleansing pad! I'll have to have a look around Primark if they're only £1!! I would also love to read a post on spot cleaning xo

    emsirose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. i never thought of washing my brushes with Johnsons Baby Shampoo. i should try it :)

    jess x | https://wellwellgirls.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete