Sunday 20 January 2019

FANTASY/ DYSTOPIAN BOOK HAUL

Considering it was only Christmas less than a month ago, you would think that I wouldn't be buying much, however, at the start of January, I started reading the first Harry Potter book. To my surprise, I loved it and read it in a few days so that is what started off this order, as I was desperate to get my hands on the rest of the series. Saying that though, I obviously can't just buy the books that I went on to buy, so I had a bit of a browse and picked up some others too and so I thought that I would talk about all of them in a haul post today!
All of the books in this haul, I bought from MusicMagpie.com which is basically an online shop where you can buy second-hand books as well as other stuff, so in total, I bought 11 books for £26.25 which is an absolute steal, especially since some of these books were free because of some of the offers that were on. I did ask in my last book haul post if you wanted a dedicated post on MusicMagpie, and a lot of you seemed interested so I will be posting that very soon so keep your eyes peeled if you are interested in that.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J. K. Rowling  (£20.44)
Honestly, I didn't really want to have to talk about all of these books separately because I will end up repeating myself a lot so I thought I would just merge the rest of the Harry Potter series into this little section. Anyways, I really loved Harry Potter and the Philospher's Stone, which is obviously the first book, and so I wanted to finish the rest of the series. I do plan on doing a whole blog post about my thoughts about the Harry Potter series as a whole but you probably won't see that for quite a while. Saying that I am loving this series much more than I thought, so much so, that I read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets across two days which is pretty quick for me. I am currently reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban but hopefully, I will fly through the rest of the series. I feel like I am the last person to have bought the Harry Potter series but at least I have it now and all of the books I bought are in amazing condition. Some are obviously better than others but for such an inexpensive price, you really can't complain. I will say though, some of these books are so much bigger than what I thought, the longest book being around 700 pages, which now makes it as the longest book I own, crazy I know.
Fallen - Kate Lauren (£2.89)
There is a bit of a strange story behind buying this book but basically, I watched, on Netflix, Fallen, the film and I was slightly confused by the end so I talked to my friend about it because I still thought that it was pretty good and she told me it was based on this book series. From that point, I knew I had to read the series because the film did end on an abrupt note and so I do want to know how the story carries on. It will be interesting to see for me how this book compares to the film but I did only pick up the first book in this series, just because, I want to make sure that I will want to carry on the series instead of just diving into it head first. To try and summarise what I already know of the plot, it is basically a YA fantasy revolving around angels, particularly fallen angels. The story starts when this girl joins a reforming school and feels inexplicably attracted to this boy so it does seem quite romance heavy but I am excited to see how the book portrays it.

Uglies - Scott Westerfeld (£2.99)
Like most of these books, this is the first book in a series, but this is actually a dystopian novel. This series basically focuses on the concept that when you turn 16, you will go from being an 'ugly' to being a 'pretty', however, the main character of this book goes against this concept. This concept is so interesting to me and I cannot wait to see how this plot turns out. I also think that there will be some really important underlying messages in this book about our society and how we view ourselves. This is definitely going to be a very unique read and I really hope I like it.

Shiver - Maggie Stiefvater (£2.99)
This is the first Maggie Stiefvater book I bought but the two I did pick up are both starts of different series so I am not sure which one I will get to first but I guess we will have to wait and see. From reading the summary, it seems like another fantasy romance but this one focusing on werewolves which excites me greatly. I genuinely think that werewolves are my favourite supernatural creature (mainly because of Teen Wolf) but I have never read a book about them so I am super excited to see how this one turns out. This is part of a four-book series and from just googling it now, there seems to be a film also which I am now desperate to watch after reading this. I definitely think that I am going to pick this book up after finishing the Harry Potter series as I just think that I am going to love it. Also as a little pointer, the main character in this book is called Grace which I just think is super ironic as I didn't know that until this arrived at my house, so I guess you could call it fate.
Lament - Maggie Stiefvater (£2.99)
As for my second Maggie Stiefvater book, this seems to be a part of a three-book series all about faeries. This sounds like it includes a lot of romance but also a lot of danger and action considering that it also includes assassins and hunters so I will be interested to see how easy I find this book to follow. This book also seems quite short but I am not sure I am going to love it as much as Shiver, but I guess we will see with time which one I prefer.

Claire De Lune - Christine Johnson (£2.19)
Like I said before, I love werewolves and this is another novel about them and this one seems super similar to the plot in Teen Wolf so I am definitely excited to see if I can find any links between the two. Anyway, this is a stand-alone book which I guess might make this book easier to read than the others I have mentioned but it basically follows Claire who finds out that she is a werewolf but has to disguise it due to the recent werewolf attacks in her town. It does seem to include some romance but also a lot of adventure. Hopefully, I am really going to like this book because of the romance and the fantasy aspect in it but it will be interesting to see how it compares to the other books in this haul.
As you can probably tell by this haul, I am very much trying to expand my collection of fantasy YA fiction but I have also gone for books that seem quite romance heavy as they do tend to be some of my favourite books to read. Like I said, you will probably be seeing these books being reviewed on my blog throughout the year as I do plan on doing much more reading this year, especially in genres that are fairly new to me.

Do let me know in the comments if you have read any of these books and if so, what your thoughts on them were.
Grace xx

2 comments:

  1. Lovely post Grace, I enjoyed having a nosy to see what books you’ve been buying lately. I’m still yet to read the entire Harry Potter series although I know it’s one of lots of people’s favourites. It sounds like you have picked up some great YA fantasy reads there and I would love to hear more about MusicMagpie. I’m currently reading The Selection series by Kiera Cass which I’m enjoying, I’m just starting the final book so that’s super exciting. It’s my first dystopian series but it’s mixed with romance. I hope you have fun reading your new books! :-) xx

    Helen | Helen’s Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much for this lovely comment, I hope you love the ending of the Kiera Cass series, I definitely think that I am going to have a little look into it myself now!xx

      Delete