Saturday 8 February 2020

LIFE LESSONS I'VE TAKEN FROM MY PART-TIME JOB

I have been working part time now for six months and although I have had a few jobs in that time, I feel as though I have learnt a lot and changed a lot as a person from the new experiences I have had. In today’s post, I wanted to discuss some of those things as I think it is important to document growth and I really feel like I have developed a lot as a person, so I wanted to share my change of mindset with you all today. 

1. Don’t take things too seriously
This is probably the biggest things I have learnt and changed about my mindset following my previous jobs. When I started in hospitality, I had no idea what to expect and going into that job, I was incredibly paranoid about everything going on in my life at the time. I had a really unhealthy relationship with my mind, questioning most people’s actions and words, and it got to the point where I was obsessing over things that hadn’t even happened yet. However, being thrown into a job, learning as you go along and being around people you have never met before, gives you the perfect opportunity to start fresh. I found that as I worked more and more shifts, I was questioning less and less. I didn’t know anyone when I started any of my jobs and so having that clean slate when meeting people for the first time is refreshing. Even within the first couple of weeks of working the odd shift, I noticed myself no longer panicking about what people thought of me. At the end of the day, especially a part time job, you are just there to do your job and so is everyone else. Most people tend to stay in their own lane and so there was never any reason for me to become paranoid that perhaps no one liked more or that people thought I was this, that or the other. 
Also starting on in a job, you are not going to be perfect, it is inevitable. You are there to learn and experience new things, but you will get better. Someone hasn’t hired you because they think that you are perfect and will never slip up, even the most experience of people in that job will still make mistakes it’s human. I use to be very fixated on the mistakes I made, now matter how big or small and that definitely didn’t help my paranoia, but you slip up so much in work as you are learning that there is just no point in dwelling on it. It’s about doing the best of your ability and as long as you’ve put the effort in, there is no need for anyone to take a little mistake so seriously. I have found my work journey to be a huge learning curve, not only know things about hospitality and insurance now, but also learning how to take on criticism and corrections in a way that is healthy for my mind. 

2. Spend your earnings wisely
I find this a funny one for myself as before I had a job, I use to be a huge spender. Any bit of pocket money I had, I would spend weeks debating on what I should spend it on. Now, however, because I have worked and earned my money in a more personal way, I don’t feel a need to impulsively spend it. I now have a greater appreciation for money and I now chose to spend it on more important things rather than that top off of PLT that I liked for about two seconds and ordered. The money that now sits in my bank, I feel like holds more value as I worked for that, I put in the hours and I earned that money and so I do think that it makes you more inclined to look after it. 
3. Go in with an open mind
The people who I have worked with, now and in the past, are people I never would have met before getting a job. Due to a whole range of things, I feel as though I have been brought up sheltered from certain elements of life. I always use this example, but I had never really known very many smokers until I started working just because that was never something I was exposed to in my life. It isn’t really a big deal but it is just one of those things you adjust to, seeing people going on a smoking break and asking you if they have a lighter, it is just something you adapt to, but it is exposing you to something you have never had to deal with before. The people I have met through work have come from all different walks of life, many chose not to go to uni, or didn’t even get GCSEs, which are things I had never really considered before. It probably makes me seem really naive but I feel like a lot of people are also like this, and until you meet these people through work, then you will never really know what else is out there. I have spoken about it a lot, but with the school I went to, university was pushed massively and I mean, it still is and going into work a lot of people tend to ask if that is what you want to do, however, when you say you aren’t too sure, they are much more understanding than the staff I have spoken to in school. I have found that the people I work with are very open minded, and don’t share any judgement for the decisions I make or for the way I feel and so that is just another example of the way I have became more open minded through working, but like I said, I am constantly being exposed to new things, beliefs and mindsets and it’s inspiring, it isn’t always a bad thing and I feel like it’s a huge step in becoming more mature and accepting. 

4. Attitude is crucial
Your attitude towards your work determines everything. You might not realise it at the time, but the way you think of yourself and your job will influence the way you work. I’ve always tried to go into my jobs with a positive mindset, especially when starting out, being enthusiastic to learn, deliver good customer service and to do a good job. I have noticed though, that when I am perhaps not feeling 100% or I feel very anxious about my job, then I am much more inclined to not wanting to go and messing up when I do get there. Especially when I worked in hospitality, I was working in two different places, one I loved and the other I hated, and it really started to show as I just didn’t do a very good job in the place I hated and I probably didn’t seem very approachable to the other staff. Also because I could pick and chose my shifts, I just didn’t show any enthusiasm for the place I didn’t like and although that meant I got to do more jobs I enjoy, when you do get in the mindset of not liking a job, you will just not go, even if it isn’t that bad. 

5. Use the rights you have
This is a funny one for me because in my hospitality jobs, I had no rights, no breaks, nothing and although it is kind of illegal, it did make me very much selfless when I was at work. No matter how tired, hungry or thirsty I was, I just learned to get on with it and smile while doing so. However, going into my current job, I was given a 30 minute break within all of my shifts, I also get 10 minute comfort for while I’m working and I also get way too much holiday time. But these are ‘normal’ things that I just wasn’t getting in my previous job and at first, it use to make me really guilty, I use to not want to take my breaks or use my holidays as I just felt like I was taking advantage of a job that I didn’t deserve. What I didn’t realise though was that everyone else had those rights and were using them so why shouldn’t I, so I started to take advantage of those rights I had. I make the most of my break now, using my comfort when I need to and booking holidays because I am inclined to have them. 

I'd love to know if you like these style of posts. I definitely don't want to come across as some work expert because I have only had a part-time job for six months now but I did just want to share my experience with you all today. 
Grace xx

No comments:

Post a Comment