Tuesday 21 May 2019

EXAM MENTALITY

After sitting an AS exam last week, and having done my GCSEs last year, I feel like I have definitely learnt a lot about my approach to exams. Some habits are much worse than others but I wanted to share a few wise words that I was once told, that have allowed me to view exams in a way that doesn't overwhelm me. If you are currently sitting your exams, good luck, and I hope that some of the things I say are reassuring to you. 
'You can only do your best'
Since sitting my 11 plus exam way back when, my parents always use to tell me that as long as I'd done my best, then that was enough for them. To this day, going into an exam, they never fail to remind me of this and as reassuring as it can be, sometimes, you don't feel like your best is enough. However, when you think about it the best you can do, is your absolute best. Whether you have revised or not, going into an exam there is a maximum you can do, or you can do the minimum, well, doing the most you possibly can do in that exam, on that day, with the preparation you have had, that is your best. If you gave that exam 100%, then you can't do anything else and no one expects you to. If you can come out of that exam and say that you gave it your best shot, then that is enough. It is really difficult to get caught up in feeling like you haven't done enough and sometimes, the people around you can encourage a disheartened feeling but if you have done your best then that is all you can do. 

When you're in that exam room, your result is inevitable
This is probably the one that I put into practice the most. Don't walk into that exam trying to learn things that you don't already know, don't try and test yourself, walk into that exam with the feeling that your result has already been decided. This isn't me saying, don't try because you're going to get an A*, not at all, what I am saying is, when you walk into that exam room, your grade has already been decided based off of the revision you have done.
If you do the best you possibly can in that exam, in those conditions, with the questions you have been given, you will leave that exam room and your result will already have been decided. Not that you'll know what that result is, but there will be nothing more you can do after you leave that exam room. 
Inevitability, I think, is something so complex that it can be difficult to get your head around, but in this context, it is pretty simple. Once you leave that exam, there is absolutely nothing you can do so don't dwell on it. It is definitely easier said than done, but you could have that exam marked the same day you sat it and you will get the same result you would get if it was marked three months later.
Set yourself no expectations
I probably struggle with this one the most, because it is only human to want something. We all have expectations when it comes to our own abilities because at the end of the day, we know our own selves the best and so you know what you want to achieve also, however, you can't expect anything from an exam. Walking out of an exam, it is really easy to think that you have got this certain grade, but I think that it is better to walk out having no expectation for yourself. 
Obviously, if you are required to get these particular grades for university or sixth form or whatever, this can be really difficult, but the worst thing you could probably do coming out of your exam is to predict what you have got and expect that grade. Mainly because if you don't reach your expectation, you will be left devastated since you have spent all this time expecting that grade. 
During GCSEs, I definitely made this mistake a few times, coming out of an exam setting myself this expectation and when I didn't reach it, it was the worst feeling. Coming out of my exams this week, I have definitely tried not to predict my grade. I obviously have my target grade, but I have made myself expect that grade in the slightest. I have really tried to practice this mentality of expecting nothing, because, then, you can't really be disappointed. 

Trust yourself 
If you are sitting an exam and you have worked hard for it, have faith in yourself. I find it really easy to fall into this habit of not feeling like I've done enough work or not having done enough revision, but in reality, I probably have done enough and I just need to believe it. Even if you are not 100% confident with everything, under exam conditions, you are most likely going to pull through. You never know what you might remember in an exam and under that adrenaline and stress, you will remember more than you think you do now. Trust your ability and have faith in the work and preparation you have done in the lead up to this exam. 
Everything happens for a reason
This is probably the last thing anyone wants to hear going into exams but it couldn't be more true. You will get the grades you get because they will be sending you along the right path. It might not feel like it now, but these exams are paving the way for the inevitable like I said before, you can leave that exam knowing that whatever the outcome, it will have happened for a reason. Obviously, on results day, it can be really heartbreaking not getting into the university you wanted because you didn't get the grades, or a scenario similar, but it will have happened for the right reasons. 

If you have got exams coming up, good luck. I hope this post offered you some reassurance!
Grace xx

2 comments:

  1. Cramming never helps! I definitely believe in your fate is already determined when you walk into that exam room - if you don't know the content, you won't even when you sit down. Great tips lovely x
    Amber | www.amberatlanta.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thank you, I'm so glad that you agree!xx

    ReplyDelete