Wednesday 5 June 2019

HOW I PLAN MY REVISION

For some of you, this post may have been useful months ago, but still, I hope you may be able to take something away from it. In about 3 weeks I will be sitting my end of year exams which, although not the most important, go towards determining my target grades for the end of year 13, and so I have been doing a lot in preparation for them. I am definitely a firm believer that planning your revision is crucial when beginning to revise and although everyone does it in their own unique way, I wanted to share how I plan my revision in preparation for exam season.
A month in advanced
Since these aren't external exams, I decided to start revision a lot later, but for some of you, this step might be three or two months in advance instead. At this point, I will sit down one evening and make a full list of everything that I want to before the exams. Personally, I make an A4 Word document and I split it into my subjects but also my different papers/ topics. The things I include will range from past paper questions to finishing notes to making flashcards, it is anything and everything that I would ideally like to do before the exam. 
Also on this list will be other things that I want to get done at this time, maybe I want to read a book or write a blog post or attend an event. This sort of helps me to ensure that I can gain a balance over the exam season. 
Some may want to this next bit differently but I will then put in italics all of the 'extra stuff' that I would ideally like to do or the more last-minute revision like learning flashcards or going over previous tests. This then helps me to distinguish what's a priority and what's just extra revision. For example, finishing my revision notes won't be in italics but doing extra reading will be in italics as that is something extra that may benefit my revision. The stuff not in italics will be what I want to get done three to two weeks in advanced and the things in italics will be things I want to do a week before the exam if you'd rather think of it that way. 
Following on from this, I will then plan briefly what I would like to do on a day to day basis up until about a week before exams start. Like I said before, this may not work for everyone, but for me, it allows a brief outline of when things need to be done by. I tend to plan this with my weekly notepad where I will write in each day what I want to get done. Realistically, I know that I won't stick to a lot of what's on that notepad, but, it offers me a really great outline. Also in this weekly plan, I will add in any events I have going on just to make sure that I can work around those plans. For example, if I'm going out with friends one day, I know I won't get as much work done, so I will add something quick to do or something on the more relaxing side to also complete that day. 
Three to two weeks in advanced
I am currently in this stage of my revision, and I mainly aim to get all of my revision content done as well as starting to do some practice of my subjects. My main guidelines over this time are the weekly plans I previously made but also, each day I will make a to-do list. This may seem excessive for some, but it works for me, so I stick with it. On my to-do list will be anything from going to gym to making revision notes to reading a book to doing a practice paper. It just gives me a current, realistic list that I can check off as I go throughout the day and obviously what was on that weekly plan will be the main priority of that day, but it also lets me add in what I'm in the mood to do. 
Leading on from what I've just said, I always try and do what I'm in the mood for. Especially at this time, when you've got a bit of everything to do, I just find that by doing what you're in the mood to do, you're going to be more productive and more enthusiastic, but know when to draw a line. You don't want to be spending loads of time on your art coursework when you know you still haven't finished making your history revision so make sure there's a balance but also listen to yourself. 
Throughout this time, I will also be returning to that big to-do list that I made and slowly but surely, ticking off everything that I manage to complete. 

A week in advanced
I always like to plan this bit closer to the time as when it comes to this stage, I will go back to that big to-do list, see what hasn't been done and then use that to plan the week. Obviously, the things that haven't already been completed, that are not in italics will be the priority but hopefully, the majority of it will be completed at this point. I will then look at what's in the italics and fit that in, however, if it isn't essential and I haven't already done it, I won't schedule it in. This is just because, at this stage, I prioritise what's essential to do before the exam. 
The main aim for me over this week will be to learn all of the content, it will be to make essay plans, to do practice papers etc. This just ensures that I have enough time to go over everything but to also ask for help if I need it. 
Although some may not agree, I will also try and prioritise my work over this time. At this stage, my exams and revision will only be lasting for another two or three weeks and they will become my priority. That doesn't mean I cut myself off from the outside world, but it just means that my to-do lists may be more ambitious and I won't be making tonnes of plans. 
The night before the exam
I am a big advocate for just relaxing the night before an exam, but obviously, that isn't always most practical, especially if your exams are really close together. Usually the day before an exam, I will make a to-do list first thing in the morning and I will write down all of the content that I want to recap that day. It may be looking back at previous essays or recapping a weaker topic or just seeing my teacher about a question I didn't understand, but this is the time where I solidify all of that information I have spent the last week learning.
For me, nothing is more stressful than learning content the night before the exam and so instead, I try to refresh the information rather than trying to teach something to myself. 
I also tend to stop revising early the night before an exam also, just so that I can get a good amount of sleep but to also wind down a little bit. For me, watching a film or reading is how I tend to relax the night before my exam, just to act as a quick distraction before everything becomes too real that morning. 

Hopefully, you all took something from this post! Good luck if you have exams coming up!
Grace xx

No comments:

Post a Comment