Saturday 29 June 2019

SUPER AFFORDABLE BOOK HAUL

It has been a while since I've done a book haul, mainly because it has been a while since I have bought loads in one go but that didn't last long as I now back with a collective book haul. All together, I reckon all of these books cost me about £15 which is incredible as I have eight here to talk about. The majoirty I bought from The Works, which by now, I think you'll all know I flippin love that shop and two were bought from a charity shop. 

As for the ones I got from The Works, I first got two classics. I really want to make a big effort to read more classics as I just think that they are so important to read and develop your own thoughts on. Each of these were Wordsworth classic additions and each cost £2 which is amazing when you consider the size of them. The first one I got was Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky which I didn't realise when I bought it, but it links perfectly to my history alevel. This is such a well known classic, from what I know it generates a lot of questions about morals and what is right verus what is wrong, so I think that this book is really going to impact me. 
The other class I picked up was Bleak House by Charles Dickens which I know pretty much nothing about, a part from the fact that it revolves around a court case. It brings up questions about legal reform and the judicial system at the time it was written, so I can see this being a very powerful and eye-opening story. It is around 750 pages though and so I might need to dedicate a whole year to reading just this book. 
The next three books I picked up from The Works were all because of the amazing 3 for £5 offer they had going on at the time I made this order. I have just double checked and the offer is still on so if you like the look of any of these books or you want to have a look at what else falls into this offer, then do check out the website for yourself. With this offer, I really tried to pick out some books that generally intrigue me by the summary given on the website. The first one I picked up was How Hard Can Love Be? by Holly Borne. I have read one other Holly Borne book in the past and it was an okay read for me, but I know that she is a well loved author in the YA contemporary scene and so I wanted to give another one of her books a go. I love books like this, super quick, super cute and lots of cheesy romance. Not that it is realistic or particularly hard hitting, but I do think a lot of these books are very relatable and just entertaining to read, they are definitely some of my favourites. I don't think that this book is going to be any different and hopefully I'm going to really like it. 
Next up, I got Hold Back the Stars by Katie Khan which really intriguied me with the summary. It is basically a typical boy meets girl situation but they only have an hour and a half left to save themselves. I love reads like this as they can be so fast paced but also so heart wrenching and I'm honestly ready for it. Also this addition is so cute and small, so I think that it would make the perfect holiday read. 
Finally in this offer, I got Desperate Girls by Laura Griffin which is a thriller. This is something totally unlike me but I'm hoping I really like it and discover a new favourite genre. From what I know, it is about a defense attorney and a murderer on the loose seeking revenge. I am definitely super intersted in reading this, so hopefully, I'll get to it very soon. 
The last book I picked up from The Works is a super contriversial one and one that I am going to be super judge for buying and that is After by Anna Todd. There has been a lot said about this book this year due to the film adaptation coming out but I'm just curious and I want to see what it is like for myself. This story was once a Harry Style's fanfiction and from what I know, it has some really bad tropes in it, which a lot of people really seem to hate. I don't really know what I'm going to think of this, but sometimes you just want a trashy, ridiculous romance so you never know, I might like this. I've also seen the trailer for the film adaptation and I must say, I'm intriuged and I really want to see it, but I'm going to read the book first. This also cost me £3 so I couldn't really say no when it is something I am super curious about. 

The final two books I recently bought were from a local charity shops which had by one for £1 and get one free, so after a little browse I picked up two books I am super excited to read. The first one being The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood which has been getting so much hype around it over the past year or so and I know that it also has a TV show so I am now giving into the hype and I plan on reading it very soon. I know that this is a sci-fi and that's about it, but a few of my friends have read it and they really loved it so hopefully, I'll like it too.
After I picked up this book, I wasn't really keen on anything else but then I saw Othello by Shakespeare Made Easy which is a publisher that translates Shakespeare's plays into modern English. I have seen some of their books around for a while and I have always been very curious to see what one was like so when this was basically free, I couldn't say no. I do have a complete works of Shakespeare book that I love but I'm hoping that this is going to really help my understanding of his writing. I don't know much about Othello but I know it is one of his well known and most popular plays so hopefully it's good. It is going to be really interesting to see what this is like to read, so I'm probably going to write a post on it once I've gotten around to reading it. 

Let me know whether you have read any of these books and if so, your thoughts on them!
Grace xx

No comments:

Post a Comment