Sunday 24 February 2019

MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT UPCYCLING

I haven't really talked much about fashion on my blog recently and I guess the main reason for that is because my opinions on the industry are starting to shift. As of recently, I have been exposed to the not-so-nice side of fast fashion and the negative impacts it has both socially and environmentally. I do plan on making another blog post all about my opinions and what I make of the industry but right now, I wanted to document something I want to start doing. 
In school, I am doing a project. Don't hold me too much to it but I am (suppose) to be putting on a fashion show demonstrating the ways in which you can upcycle your own clothes. This is something I really wanted to challenge myself with. As being someone who has always been fascinated with clothes and production and design, I wanted to experience it first hand for myself. This isn't going to be some outstanding performance or outcome, but it is something for myself where I can spread what I believe but also sharing some of my creativity along the way.
I do plan on sharing my journey of upcycling old clothes on my blog, just to keep my inspired and also, hopefully, to inspire someone else reading this.
As a bit of background on my sewing experience, there is very little of it. I didn't do textiles GCSE and trust me, I regret it, but last Christmas, I asked for a sewing machine and my parents kindly got me one, which I am so super grateful for because it is going to make this journey slightly more bareable. I am not a pro on a sewing machine, nor am I a pro are reconstucting old clothes and so with this being my first attempt, please be nice. I know it isn't the best, a lot of the seams don't match and it areas, it looks like a bit of a mess, but for my first go, I am proud of myself. This is a journey and a process and I want to be able to look back at this and see the progress I have made. 
As for what I decided to upcycle. I had a plain white tshirt, sitting in my wardrobe untouched, because it isn't the most flatting shape on me and it can sometimes be fairly see through. I also had a checkered shirt there and I must have worn it a total of once maybe so I decided to combine the two products in a way that would make up a new piece that I might actually wear again.
It probably itsn't the most creative option, but I replaced the short sleeves of the white tshirt with the long sleeves of the checkered shirt. The stiching isn't the best cause the diameters of each piece didn't fully match up and it was kind of awkward to sew because I was too lazy to take everything apart, but here we are.
I actually quite like how it turned out as I have thought about it for ages, but finally seeing it made it just better. There are definitely things I wish I did differently and things about this piece that make it look like an amateur did it (which I am so it's fine). But I'm proud of myself. It was definitely a learning curve and I do only plan on improving from here. 

I hope you liked this little insight into a current project I am working on, I am definitely nervous and excited to see how it turns out. 
Grace xx

No comments:

Post a Comment