Saturday 27 July 2019

PILLOW THOUGHTS - an aesthetic read

I have never been a huge poetry fan but I feel like, over the past few years, it has become very trendy and aesthetic in a way to read poetry. Really popular poetry collections are the ones by Rupi Kaur, but I have seen more and more appearing as time has gone on. Saying that I have never considered buying myself one but luckily for my birthday, my friend, Emily, bought me Pillow Thoughts by Peppernell which is a collection of poetry. This post isn't going to be like a proper review but I just thought I'd talk about it a little bit in this post. 
What I really like about this poetry collection is that the contents page is section off into a 'Table of Thoughts', for example, it has a dedicated chapter for when you are feeling in love, or sad or lonely and I just think that this layout is interesting as it is probably the way the poems are going to have the most impact. I now know that when I feel these things I can go to this collection and just read what I may need to hear. It is definitely an interesting way to display it. 
I also didn't realise how many poems you actually get in this book. There are about 250 pages and the majority of poems only take up a page, so it makes this collection super easy to read but also, it will take you a while to get through all of the poems, which I quite like because then you will never get bored of reading the same ones. 
Something else that I find quite interesting about poetry collections like this is the length of the poems. This collection has poems ranging from one sentence to over a page and although they each range in their impact and power, I just think that it is really cool that one line can provoke so many thoughts. 
I have only read a few of these poems, but from what I have read, I do think that this is right up my street. The poems and lines are very simple yet thought-provoking which I love and they definitely do a good job at making you feel understood. 
Although it probably isn't the best way to read it, I definitely want to read it start to finish just to get the chance to read every poem. Maybe then, I will mention it in another post but I would love to hear your thoughts on these modern poetry collections and if you have read this one, then please let me know your thoughts. 
Grace xx

No comments:

Post a Comment